Please note: This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure page for more information.
I figured it was time to do one of these for funsies, especially since I haven’t done one in a while, so why not!?!? September is always a crazy time for me, mostly because I’m heading back from camp and trying to get my life back together after being gone for so many weeks. But I’d say September was pretty darn good around here, so I have lots to share with you!
“In many ways, September feels like the busiest time of the year: The kids go back to school, work piles up after the summer’s dog days, and Thanksgiving is suddenly upon us.” – Brene Brown
…if that ain’t the truth! Oof!
Things I’m Loving:
- Wrapping up another round of IndyFringe! I was the captain at the Athenaeum Mainstage again this year, and I was very busy with many of my shows! I can’t recall if this is my 12th or 13th year of working the festival in some way, but I know I’ve been around for a while at this point. I love walking right into Fringing as soon as I’m back from camp because SO MANY people I know and love come through the doors, and it’s nice to come home to after being away.
- Getting to pet so many pups! I did plenty of dog sitting once I got back from camp, and I’m so grateful because it’s an easy way to get back into a schedule, play with dogs, and make some cash! I booked up super fast! (Learn more about Rover and use code: KELSEH43972 for $20 off your booking!)
- I sang in Opera in the Park with the Indianapolis Opera…AGAIN! This is another gig I’ve done for years at this point. I think I’ve done every version of the concert since it started.
- After I picked up my plants from staying at my parents’ house over the summer, I bought more! I’m now an owner of a Venus Fly Trap – which is a veeeery picky plant, I’ve learned – and a Bonsai Tree – which of course, required special soil. I’ll report back.
- Got to check out the BRAND NEW Charlotte Hall (featured in Good Bones: Risky Business) in Fountain Square! The home/small event venue would be perfect for an intimate wedding, shower, or even a fancy dinner! Loved it!
Things I’m Reading/Watching/Listening To:
- 100 Things to Do in Indiana Before You Die – I got an advanced copy of this book to go through! It’s written by fellow Hoosier Jamie Ward of Cornfields & High Heels! I look forward to finishing it up soon!
- Watching lots of ukulele videos (did I mention that I bought a ukulele?!) – I’m trying to get some basics down and learn a couple of simple tunes by the holidays. I bought it because I’ve spent so much time in music classrooms lately…and I just wanted my own to use! Shoutout to the FUN AND AMAZING STAFF at Arthur’s Music Store in Fountain Square; I just love them!
- Ummm, did you all know that Discovery+ has SO MANY spooky documentaries and series that you can watch? I dropped Netflix for a bit and switched to Discovery+ to watch some of the season’s haunted and true crime goodies.
Things I’m Eating:
- This one is so bland, simply because I feel like I’ve just been grabbing protein bars and shakes lately to just keep moving. But, I have been pulling some recipes from Budget Bytes that I like to make multiple servings of and then freeze for later.
Things I Need to Do:
- Get back into a gym/movement schedule. My Q4 schedule is pretty unforgiving, so I don’t know where I’m going to find this time, but I’m guessing we’ll find something that works soon.
- I’m doing my best to prepare for the wild months of October, November, and December – it’s truly my busiest (but wonderful) time of the year. That means getting shopping done early, hiring help, making a calendar for planning things in advance, etc. It’s a wild time, but I appreciate the season’s hustle.
Things I’m Looking Forward To:
- Starting back at the Indianapolis Zoo for Zoo Boo! I’m back in my same role this fall, but I’m getting a new costume which is super exciting! I’ll post the reel of it now that we’re open!
- Federal Student Loan Forgiveness Application should be going live soon! Fingers crossed for that $10k! LOL
- Singing in Tosca with the Indianapolis Opera. We are working with a new chorus master for this show, and I’m excited to see how things go.
- Picking up some new client work, even if I’m already full to the brim. That means my business can hire help, so while it’s busy, I think it is a good sign of growth.
September was fun – I’m excited to be home for the fall. I’m more excited about the adventures of my busy season of shows (Zoo Boo, Tosca, Yuletide Celebration with the ISO). But I’ll be hanging on by a thread! 🙂
TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS: How’s your fall going so far? What are you looking forward to in these cool months?